Stolen Valour

Stolen Valour

Surname: DiTullio
Christian Names: Alfonso
Country: Australia
State or Province: Western Australia
City or Town: Cockburn
Service: Army Reserve
Case Notes:

Alfonso DiTullio

A man who served  with the Army Reserve and claimed to have served in Namibia and Rwanda with the Royal Australian Regiment, Infantry. He also claimed to be the only member alive from his squad/platoon as the rest had committed suicide. Another disgraced RSL executive officer. How many more are out there?  There are quite a few, another RSL President poseur will appear on this page soon. As we wrote some time ago, the RSL is a breeding ground for wannabes and here's further proof.


This is one of the rare "good news, bad news" stories we get to present now and again.  The good news is that members of an RSL actually had the courage to front one of their number before a committee and charge him with impersonation of a Soldier who had seen Active Service and also medals fraud before ANZMI got involved.We applaud these members.



Alfonso DiTullio was the President of the Cockburn RSL Sub-Branch and the bad news is about the hurt and damage he has perpetrated on those who regarded him as a friend.  He has been dismissed from the RSL, his name removed from the honour board, and a formal report on proceedings sent to the Western Australia RSL State HQ.

On 4 January this year we received a report about DiTullio, outlining suspicions that he had never served overseas with UN missions as he had claimed for around 10 years in Cockburn.

This report and a follow up are presented verbatim below, ANZMI comments and notes in blue.  Only the person's name and that of DiTullio's brothers and their units were removed.

4 January 2007

I have another possible candidate who may cause me personal embarrassment if my suspicions are proved right. I refer to the current President of the City of Cockburn RSL - Alf Di Tullio, who claims service in Namibia and Rwanda as an RAR member.Without saying what set off my suspicions, I will lay out what I know.

I first met Alf in the mid 1990's when he joined the Sub Branch.  (DiTullio was the sub-branch president from February 2006 without having served on the committee in other positions prior to this)

He told of being in the Army but had retired a couple of years ago. He did tell what I thought were tall stories then, but I wrote them off as ANZAC Day tales.

At that time he did say he had been a Sergant, but had been busted back to corporal for what was an assault on a fellow soldier who he had caught sleeping with his wife.

His mother (who he still lives with) tells other members that he has never been married, also she has told a different member that he was only a reservist and never in the full time Army.

About two years ago, by which time we were good friends, he found out that I was going on a business trip to Sydney. Prior to me going he asked if I would go to Christies in Sydney and pick up an AASM and ASM for him, as his were in a bank vault and difficult to get out.   (Australian Active Service Medal & Australian Service Medal)

He had never worn medals before! Anyway, I agreed and asked him what bar he needed. He stated "Namibia" for both as he had been there for the UNTAG (United Nations Transition Assistance Group) deployment.

Looking at the Australian Peacekeepers web site and other related web sites they only mention that Australian Army Engineers went to Namibia, no mention of RAR  (Infantry) soldiers that I can find. Further, the original medal awarded was the ASM, but I recall reading somewhere that this was replaced with the AASM, providing you returned your initially issued ASM. I guess that this would also apply to the change in Rwanda's status?  They were also issued the UNTAG medal, which he doesn't have. I also note that the Rwanda vets were issued the UNMIR (United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda) medal, also something he doesn't have!

As my suspicions were aroused by last weekend, I casually mentioned that there was another medal for Rwanda. The reply I got was "oh yeah which one?" When I mentioned that it was a UN medal he launched into a tirade that he didn't want it, that he had written to the UN about their performance in Bosnia etc,etc,etc. He then added that he had refused his Namibia one also.

Call me dumb and I am happy to stand corrected, but how do you refuse a medal that Honours and Awards either posts to your home address, or your personnel section for presentation by your CO? If you don't want to wear a particular medal, you simply don't wear it! Understanding that the medal entitlements to both deployments have changed, he still is not wearing the correct Bars or in view of the Rwanda change the correct medal. The lack of knowledge regarding UN medals disturbs me also. It's something that guys who do something worthy of note are generally particular about.

About a year or so ago he started talking about the PTSD caused by his Rwanda service. He has discussed this subject in depth with a couple of Vietnam Vets who have taken him at his word and no doubt shared their experiences. I did discuss the subject of DVA with him a while ago, but he said that he had applied and been refused 11 times. When I suggested that he use the Sub Branch welfare officer (one of the two VV"s  (Vietnam Vets) he had discussed the issue with) he said that he would give this person in Victoria one more chance.

Surprisingly he was suddenly in receipt of a DVA benefit. My wife who is also very friendly with him asked him how much he was getting, lo and behold it was the same amout exactly that I receive from DVA (60%), information that I had shared with him sometime before as I had received an increase in % of my disability. On the weekend another member tells me that he told them he only receives $11- a fortnight from DVA.

When pressed to relate why he suffers from PTSD the answer you get (after a few beers) is that it has something to do with him witnessing a child being shot in Rwanda and him then attacking the shooter. Recently one of our VV sufferers let slip to me that his PTSD was caused by something to do with a child being shot! He didn't give me the full story nor would I ever wish press him on the subject!

He (DiTullo) also states that he is the only member of his platoon/squad left alive, as the rest have committed suicide. When pressed about his supposed wife and child, they are somewhere in America. Sounds all very convienent!

This ANZAC day when I quipped to him something about him only being a sargent he responded with the correction "staff sargent". He has suddenly promoted himself again. Neither my wife or any one else has heard him use this rank before.

On Sunday when we were discussing UN missions and medals he let slip that he was envious of his older brother XXXXX, who is a currently serving WO1 posted to  XXXXXX . (I checked the defence telephone book! (brother) is listed as the WSM of the  XXXXX.)  (brother) according to Alf has served in the de-mining operation in XXXXXX and was promoted rapidly to SSM of what he called XXXXXX. He has also stated that he had another brother in the Army, but I cannot find a listing, so can only assume that he has retired. This made me think as he told one of the VV's that he had only left the Army in 1999 (wonder if it's his brother who left?), when he told me that he was already out of the Army in the mid 1990's.

Anyway I can go on for hours relating stories he has told of working with USMC personnel at Paris Island, Fort this or that, etc,etc,etc………….. As well as loads of "adventures" here in Australia. But basically it's appearing that his inconsistant stories are catching up with him as the members of the Sub Branch are all starting to talk amongst themselves.

I would request that you guys have a look at him, and if he is genuine I can head off any embarrassment by being able to assure the members that he is the genuine article. However if he isn't, he needs to get what's coming!

To the best of my knowledge his service No is 514026, however please remember that he has two other brothers who appear to be the real deal, his correct name is Alfonso Di Tullio

Thanks for you time in all this and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future……


19 January 2007

I emailed you a couple of weeks ago regarding our President - Alf DiTullio - claims to Active service on UN missions. Since then I have dug further and we were able to front this impostor up to the committee where he has admitted his guilt. He has summarily been dismissed from the RSL with formal correspondence going to State Headquarters seeking official action against him. (What State HQ has to say on this matter will be interesting)

His (DiTullio's) only service was as a member of 13 FD supply company Karrakatta ARES 1989-1993. His correct service No is 5104410. I uncovered this information on "" where he has his own entry under NorthLake Senior High School class of 1985. In other words he shopped himself.

Many of the veterans of our Sub Branch feel much more should be done to him, at the least his actions should be publically ridiculed. I have attached two photo's showing him wearing the AASM and ASM, medals he is not entitled to. (He's the Italian looking person) (see photos below)

When he appeared before the RSL committee he was asked " have you ever had overseas service on behalf of Australia or any other military force?". He answered no.

This guy has pedalled his bullshit on us for 8 years and I have watched him fake a PTSD attack in order to gain sympathy and attention from genuine veterans. We have removed his name from the Sub Branch Honour board as we feel he was fraudulently elected - on the grounds that our mainly WW2 membership believed him to be a genuine veteran. God knows how long the hurt and anger will take to settle. I have also communicated with the APPV Assn and their national President and secretary are aware of this fraud.

Thanks for your time in this sorry business, here's hoping you can give him his just "fame" on your web site. If you require any further info please don't hesitate to call.


We communicated with this gentleman and some of what we learnt is included in our comments above, some other distressing things we learnt about his behaviour cannot be included.

It's understood that DiTullio will have to attend a State RSL tribunal on the 21st February 2007 to explain himself and we'll publish any results when known. If the matter is swept under the carpet, we'll publish any findings on this as well.


Remembrance Day 2006.  DiTullio in the centre with microphone.

The medals are not easily identified in the photo. We have a duly witnessed statement as to the wearer being DiTullio and the medals being the Australian Active Service Medal 1915-75 and Australian SService Medal 1945-75, both with clasps Namibia.

The third medal on his left would be the new Australian Defence Medal issued by the Government to recognise Service in the Defence Forces.

We also thank the National President and Secretary of the Australian Peacekeepers and Peacemakers Association. Their invaluable information on how UN medals are issued enabled an RSL member to trip him up much faster.

Alfonso DiTULLIO by your own admission of pretending to be a serviceman who has been on Active Service and wearing of medals that you are not entitled to, you have disgraced yourself and brought embarrassment on your family, close friends, the members of the Cockburn RSL. 

You have also committed offences against the Defence Act 1903 which is a matter for the Australian Federal Police to investigate should they have the resources to do so, as that is the excuse they use for not defending the honour of genuine Australian serving and ex-servicemen and women.

23 Aug 2007  

One time Cockburn RSL Sub Branch President, Alf DiTullio, was exposed as a fake "war veteran" by members of his Sub Branch in February 2007.   He appeared on the front page of the Community Newspaper "Cockburn Gazette" and the ANZMI website shortly afterwards.

Following his exposure, both the WA State and National Executives of the R&SL have confirmed that DiTullio is now permanently banned from membership of any R&SL branch in Australia.    DiTullio did not appeal the decision.

A further article about DiTullio's banning has been published in the "Cockburn Gazette" by reporter Mark McCrory.

Read the front page article below

This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from private citizens are supported by statements of fact and statutory declarations.


Surname: Waugh
Christian Names: Peter Ross
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Taree
Service: Army
Branch: Infantry
Case Notes:

Peter "Muddy" Waugh

Below are the documents that got Peter "Muddy" Waugh into "hot water" with just about everybody in the veteran community, especially the 8th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment Association and the Royal Australian Engineer's, "Tunnel Rats" Association. 


Muddy claims in his "story" that, he;

Spent lots of time in choppers.

Spent lots of time in the bush

Remembers too many contacts

Was 300 metres down a tunnel when his light went out

Still trembles when the lights go out.

Set off a trip wire and was wounded in action with a "gut full of scrap"

We are reliably advised that at a recent Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder course Waugh related to others on the course that:

He served Fourteen months in South Vietnam.

Was an M60 Machine Gunner for Six months

Was a Forward Scout.

Was a "Tunnel Rat"

Stepped on a 500lb bomb booby trap and lived to tell the tale.

Another veteran told us that Waugh had told him:

"He'd been down tunnels and was blind in one eye from shrapnel, he also stated that he had served in D Company of the 8th Battalion"

Another good one is; 

"He said he was awarded a Military Medal whilst serving with 8RAR, when asked for details about this he said, sorry I don't like to talk about it"

Waugh recently went on a "return to Vietnam" tour with the Taree VVA. In a hotel in Saigon in June 2007 he again claimed to a group of veterans that  "He had gone down tunnels".

There are too many lies listed to refute one by one, so let's just be kind and say that most of Waugh's utterings are "fantasy". Waugh said in his Taree VVA article. "Brief recollections of most which according to my Psych (sic) I have buried somewhere in my head"  These recollections are not buried, they are just not there - never having happened. We hope that Waugh hasn't told his "Psych" all of these stories in his bid to gain the benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs, that he currently enjoys, because that would be fraud.

We have acquired Waugh's service file from the National Australia Archives through Freedom of Information Legislation. His service was typical of many thousands of National Servicemen from the Vietnam era.         

He was enlisted into the Army as a National Serviceman on the  1 Oct 1969.   After recruit and further training he was allocated to the Royal Australian Infantry Corps and posted to the 1st Army Reinforcement Unit (1ARU) in Vietnam on the 15th Jul 1970, where he stayed until 13th August 1970. He was then posted to 8th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment (8 RAR) on the 14th August 1970, where he remained until the 4th October 1970 - a total of fifty two days with the Battalion.  He then returned to 1 ARU where he spent half of his time on Field Punishment and in Detention. On 14th January 1971 he was posted to 1st Australian Logistic Support Group (1ALSG) until his return to Australia on 8 July 1971.

What were his duties at each unit?

1st Australian Reinforcement Unit (1 ARU) at Nui Dat. Infantry reinforcements from Australia were posted to 1 ARU.  Waugh spent about a month doing assimilation and training in preparation for posting to 8th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment.

8th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment.  He was with 8th Battalion for only fifty two days. During this time, he worked with both C Company and Administration Company. We are reliably advised that most of his time with the Battalion was spent running the Company Bar and he also painted the bar with the Ettamogah Pub motif (as shown in the Taree booklet). 

1ARU.  Ordinarily  he would have been reallocated to the incoming Battalion, however, 8RAR was not replaced so he spent one hundred days at 1 ARU of which Forty Nine were spent under punishment.

HQ 1ALSG. He did not return to a Battalion but was posted to HQ 1ALSG Located at Vung Tau, it was the Logistic Support Headquarters for Australian Forces in Vietnam.

Apart from his forty nine days of field punishment and detention, Waugh served honourably and usefully in Vietnam and should be enjoying the honest company of his good friends, however he has been deserted because those who served with him know that he has lied about his service.

Following the story in The Manning River Times, numerous protests were lodged to the newspaper, resulting in a meeting between the Editor, aggrieved veterans and members of the Taree VVA

The meeting resolved nothing, Taree VVA executives strongly defending Waugh.

The President of the Taree VVA, Mr Richard A Albert , who is a genuine Vietnam veteran, claims to have been unable to detect that Waugh was lying  and followed up the meeting by placing the following rebuttal in the local newspaper, we suggest he had help from their well known legal adviser.

An Infantry veteran sent a letter to the Editor of The Manning River Times in response to Richard Albert's rebuttal, below is what he said.

The 8 RAR Association were not amused about Waugh's version of his service history with 8 RAR in Vietnam and wrote him the letter shown below:

Waugh had no need to exaggerate his war service and it seems that until he joined the nefarious Taree VVA he was never in trouble.  We don't know why Muddy developed the need to lie about his Vietnam service, there could be many reasons, among which is the creation of "stories" to convince his "Psych" and The Department of Veterans Affairs that he has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Who knows?

Waugh may not have been brought to account for his damn lies, had he ceased telling them and apologised at an early stage and got on with life, however, he insists that everything he has said are "true blue" war stories.

Although Waugh is a genuine veteran who spent a year in Vietnam his recollection of his personal history in Vietnam, which he freely published, are just damn lies. Veterans who did the hard yards with 8RAR and other combat units, especially those who served as Tunnel Rats will not allow veteran wannabes like Waugh to get away with deceitful self aggrandisement.


Did not spend lots of time in choppers.

Did not spend lots of time in the bush .

Cannot remember too many contacts, because he was not involved.

Was never 300 metres down a tunnel when his light went out.

Is lying when he says he trembles when the lights go out (In relation to going down tunnels.)

Did not set off a trip wire and was wounded in action with a "gut full of scrap".

Never served fourteen months in South Vietnam.

Was not an M60 Machine Gunner for Six months

Was not a Forward Scout.

Was not a "Tunnel Rat".

Never stepped on a 500lb bomb booby trap and lived to tell the tale.

Was not blinded in one eye from shrapnel.

Was never awarded a Military Medal whilst serving with 8RAR.

Waugh published and has stated false recollections for the purpose of self adulation and perhaps to support claims for benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

 At ANZMI it is part of our charter to make sure that personal histories are honest and respectful of their fellow veterans and the units they served in.

Footnotes - Warning 1: Veterans who have told lies to gain the Special Rate of compensation (TPI) and DVA investigate them, could finish up in court, just as other wannabes have.  The maximum penalty for this criminal act includes gaol.  Even if it is a lessor penalty, the veteran will be convicted of a crime and that means a permanent criminal record.  Who wants one of these?  This should ring alarm bells for those who have already obtained DVA benefits via  false reports and sound a warning to those who are contemplating such actions.  Who could face their families after being convicted in court on criminal charges that would reveal the lies the families heard and believed over the years? Imagine the shame.

Warning 2.   Again the Taree Vietnam Veterans Association has come under scrutiny because of dishonesty by a member. There are people involved with that organisation who are proven frauds and liars. We would suggest to honest veterans that in the interest of retaining their integrity they avoid involvement in the Taree VVA.

This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the Vietnam Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from private citizens are supported by statements of fact and statutory declarations.


Surname: Stocks
Christian Names: Sydney Nelson
Country: Australia
State or Province: QLD
City or Town: Burnett
Service: RAAF
Case Notes:


Stocks is well known in the South Burnett region of Queensland as a heroic World War 2 bomber pilot but being exposed as a wannabe on more than one occasion has not stopped him continuing the charade

He is a 90-year-old author  who is well in command of his faculties, so the fiction that he has been spreading for decades about his WW2 exploits cannot be blamed on his age.


In a Brisbane Courier Mail newspaper report in 1992  by Jason Gagliardi, there is a photo of Sydney Stocks and a woman whom he had "rescued from a  Japanese POW camp in IndonesiaJuly 1945".

The article reports that in July 1945 Stocks landed his Beaufort bomber next to a Japanese prison camp in Banjuwangi Indonesia and amid chaos and bullets rescued Nicoline Van Den Hurk,  he snatched  her up, together with maps  documents and photographsand took her to Darwin.  The lady was sent back to Holland and the documents he gathered were found to be important to the war effort. For this escapade he was demoted and charged by the RAAF but subsequently awarded the Dutch War Commemorative Cross of Honour by Queen Beatrice of the Netherlands.

As a lead up to ANZAC Day, on 24 April 2004 Sydney Stocks gave an interview to Glenis Green of the Brisbane Courier Mail . It is a long interview that disclosed many more facets of Syd's "heroic" RAAF service. We have been unable to locate a copy of the actual newspaper report however we present a transcript of the report below.   

Flight to freedom

The exploits of Sydney Nelson Stocks , a distinguished bomber pilot and one of the few to escape from Changi, are a stirring story of courage and grit. Glenis Green reports

WHEN South Burnett war veteran  went into hospital for major intestinal surgery last month, the last thing his doctors expected to see on his X-rays was a bullet lodged near his spine.

Even as astounded medical staff at Kingaroy's community hospital looked at the amazing discovery on film, Stocks was being his usual chipper self.

After carrying the 307 snub-nosed bullet around for more than 60 years, the World War II Digger had almost forgotten about it -- except when it made his lower back ache if he ``mucked about'' too much.
Nestled next to his spine, the bullet had never been removed for fear of putting the 88-year-old in a wheelchair.

So Stocks learned to live with what he described as ``the wearying pains'' if he stood up for too long or did too much physical work.

Such silent stoicism is typical of Stocks, who was up and about just days after his surgery, living independently again in the Yarraman home he shares with Tommy the cat.
Watching Stocks as he bustles about in his old-fashioned kitchen making coffee and shuffling through scrapbooks decorated with his own artistic water colours, it is hard to reconcile the slightly built, softly spoken man with his rugged war hero reputation.

This, after all, is a man who not only risked his life a hundred times over to fly behind enemy lines performing daring rescues and bombing raids, but was also one of the few POWs to escape from Singapore's notorious Changi Prison.

He has so many medals it's hard to lift the jacket he wears to Anzac Day marches. They include his US Inter-national Cross of Honour, the Dutch Commemorative Medal of Honour, a Star of David presented by the Jewish community, an Order of Australia medal and a recent honour as an Honorary Knight of Malta.
But back to the bullet. For Stocks it's the lasting reminder of one of his regular 1942 sorties piloting a two-engine Wellington to bomb the Krupps Ammunition Factory at Hamburg.

``We blasted it night after night and their fighters were always chasing us,'' he says.``Well, this night we were coming back, outside Belgium, when the tail gunner said, `There's a bandit following', and we copped a blast.''

Stocks tried to out-manoeuvre the fighter, doing a quick inside turn (``the blokes were yelling a bit'') and the fighter made a pass and overshot before turning to close the distance between the two aircraft, approaching head-on.

``He was keeping his guns going -- he was within 400 yards -- and he peeled off.
``The last shot went through the fuselage, underneath Mitch (Gordon Symes, the front gunner), missed the centre post and hit me in the lower right torso.

``I told `Flaps' Crawford (the second pilot) `I've been hit, I think'. He took it (the plane) from me and I lay on the fuselage, all cramped up and half out of it until we got to the base at Silsden.''
When Stocks recovered from his wound, he realised the bullet was still in there when he felt a bump beneath his skin on his lower back.

While living with a bullet is just one of Stocks' amazing stories of survival, he's a reluctant hero, saying he's no different to any else who fought.

Stocks' story began when he joined up on January 6, 1940 aged 25 -- so old for a new recruit that he quickly earned the nickname ``Uncle''.

A FRENCH polisher by trade, he'd been a foreman in a furniture factory which was ordered into military production when the war began.
When first he went to enlist, he was knocked back, because his job was deemed a protected industry.
``So I waited for a few days, changed my name (calling himself Syd Nelson -- Nelson being his middle name) and enlisted in the RAAF.''

He was put straight on the SS Manundra sailing to England, ending up at Silsden, a medium bomber base near Leicestershire, where he was trained as a pilot and wireless air gunner. ``They (pilots) were always getting shot so they always needed more pilots,'' he says.

It was two years years later when Stocks was a member of four bombing squadrons sent to Siam (now Thailand) to head off the Japanese forces joining the war that the die was cast for his incarceration in Changi.

They had fought from Siam back to the causeway joining Malaya with Singapore when they were ambushed after the Japanese broke through an Indian battalion.

``The first thing they (the Japanese) did was go straight to the hospital and shoot every patient and medical orderly because they didn't want to look after injured people,'' Stocks says.
``Then they drove up and down and disabled the aircraft. I remember I was sitting with my CO on a kerb in Singapore in a monsoon with our feet in a drain, eating our last meat pie.
``He said, `What are you gonna do Stocksy?' and I said, `What can we do?'
``He said, `I appreciate what you've done, hopefully you'll get through this. It's every man for himself'.''
Stocks says there was nothing to do but wait to be picked up by Japanese troops and be thrown on a truck.

``Any sign of resistance and you were gone,'' he says.
Stocks and the rest of the captured Allied troops were taken to Seleta.
``We had to stand for 72 hours upright on a parade ground -- in the rain and the heat. The Japs made us stand in our faeces and urine -- blokes were collapsing everywhere. We lost 304 men. They were dropping at our feet.''

Those who survived were taken to Changi. There Stocks was put in charge of a small working team of army and air force men.

At one point he was interrogated and when he feigned ignorance was struck on the head with wooden bats, which permanently damaged his hearing.

That was in February, 1942. On April 11, the next year, he escaped.
His plan for freedom was hatched when a big stir went through the camp about the imminent arrival of Japanese General Shimperi, the overall head of prisoner of war camps at the time.
Prisoners were told they must be at a special parade for the general, and that they had better behave themselves.

Instead Stocks put himself on penalty duties for the big day, wearing his baggiest pair of shorts, worn-out sandshoes and no shirt and carrying two old potato bags which he used to put rubbish in as he traversed the perimeter of the prison.

Enduring the taunts, insults and kicks from guards, he eventually got to the main gates where a rubbish truck with an armed Japanese driver was waiting.

Because his captors refused to touch rubbish, Stocks was ordered into the truck so he could unload it at the dump. As the truck headed for the causeway, Stocks overpowered and ``dispatched'' the driver.
``I won't tell you what I did . . . I dug a hole and buried him just inside the entrance to the Kranji Cemetery, then I took the truck across the causeway to a small court outside the Temple of Johore where I knew the Sultan -- he had been a member of our Lodge.''

Stocks had become friends with a local magistrate, who put him in prison and told the Japanese who had come to take him away that he would have to remain in jail in Malaya for driving without a licence and stealing a vehicle.

HE WAS held in the Johore prison until he could be picked up by a fishing boat and taken out to sea.
``They covered me in coconut oil and dye and gave me an old straw hat so I looked like a fisherman,'' he says.

Eventually Stocks made it to Ambon and then Darwin.

As well as leaving behind so many mates in Changi (to whom he did not even reveal his escape plan in case they paid the price for their knowledge), one of Stocks' biggest regrets was saying goodbye to a loyal four-footed friend, ``Butch'', the fox terrier.

Wearing his own little parachute, Butch had been on every flying mission with Stocks, once even using that parachute to glide to safety when their aircraft was shot down. Despite the experience he lined up the next day for his usual seat on the plane -- never missing a beat.
So when Stocks was dragged off to Changi, Butch went too. But, sadly, he didn't see freedom again like his master.
Stocks finally found out during a 1992 reunion of POWS on the Gold Coast what had happened to his little dog.

Furious at Stocks' escape, one of the nastier Japanese sergeants killed the little dog, then cooked him and fed him to the unwitting prisoners.

Stocks still chuckles at the memory of the brave little dog, which incurred the CO's wrath after seizing the opportunity to mate with the CO's wife's pampered shi-tzu -- a tryst which produced a fine litter of pups, all looking just like Butch.

``He (Butch) was confined to barracks for a week for that,'' he said.
Stocks has a thousand more war stories -- and as a keen writer he has told some of them himself in many stories and books. He has written several novels, including Plenty Makes Me Poor, a story centred on his former home town of nearby Blackbutt, which is tipped to be made into a movie.
He's such a wealth of knowledge that archivists are gathering his recollections for an official history for the War Memorial in Canberra.

Living alone since his wife Val died in 1991 after 58 years of marriage, (they met when she was a concert pianist for the Queensland Symphony Orchestra and he played the violin), Stocks holds on fiercely to his independence.

Even while he was still doubled over from the aftermath of his recent surgery he managed to add a fresh shine to the French polished war memorial in the main street of Yarraman. And that's where he'll be marching again on Anzac Day this year -- exactly three weeks before his 89th birthday.  As an RSL life member, he'll again be the toast of a town which is more than proud to call him one of their own.

What was Sydney Stocks really doing during WW2


We have the complete service record of Sydney Nelson Stocks – 174 pages -  and we know exactly where he was from 1942 when he first joined the 1st Battalion of the Volunteer Defence Corps  (Queensland) VDC (Q) until 1960 when he left the RAAF. We also know where he was not.   


He was....

Not in the RAAF in January1940.

Not ever in the Pilot's seat of a Bomber aircraft or any other aircraft  flying operational missions

Not rescuing Dutch Damsels from Japanese Prison Camps in July 1945

Never in Europe during the war, bombing the Krupps Ammunition Factory

Never wounded by a snub-nosed 307 bullet now lodged near his spine.

Never a prisoner of war nor incarcerated in Changi gaol in Singapore. 

Never stood for 72 hours in Changi and never lost 304 of his comrades

Never escaped from any POW camp.
Never killed a Japanese guard .

Never had a dog with parachuting skills.

Never knew a Sultan in Malaya who gave him refuge.

Never escaped from Malaya in a local fishing boat, to end up in Darwin.



Following the 24 April 2004 story Glenis Green ,  journalist with the Brisbane Courier mail, "cottoned" on to Stock's embarrassing lies and in a follow up story  on the 24 May 2004 shot down this "Bomber Pilot" in flames. She said about Stocks in the Courier Mail ; inter alia


"Not quite so blatant was Yarraman old-timer Syd Stocks, whose story about his brush with a bullet as a fighter pilot, his parachuting fox terrier "Butch" and escape from the notorious Changi prison also made it into print.


The 88-year-old remains convinced his stories are true, backed by scrapbooks of clippings; letters, X-rays of his bullet injury, faded photographs and medals.

Stocks had been fooling almost everyone in the Blackbutt and Yarraman area for decades with his tales of derring-do. Sadly it appears that his only gong was the OBE he was awarded last year for his services to the community.


Author, investigative writer and historical consultant Lynette Silver says fabricating stories about his service is insulting to all who did participate in the armed services.   After consulting a senior historian at RAAF Historical Section, Silver says Stocks could not have served with an RAAF bomber squadron in the UK in 1940, as our only squadron there at the time was 10 Squadron (Sunderland flying boats).


Silver also confirmed that, despite Stock's assertions, there were no RAF or RAAF bomber squadrons stationed in Thailand and there was no S Nelson or S Stocks listed among the 229 RAAF personnel from the RAAF's Far East Squadrons taken prisoner in 1942. And no POW ever escaped successfully from Changi, although some tried.

Silver points to a string of other inconsistencies in Stocks' account and notes that records do show a Sydney Nelson Stocks, born in Toowoomba on May 14, 1915, who, after being discharged from the militia, enlisted in the RAAF at Windsor in Brisbane on Jan 6 1944."

On 31 March 2006 Sydney Nelson Stocks flew back into the ANZMI radar with a story in the South Burnett Times


Note in the article that Stocks says, "I was a bomber pilot and this fellow was a fighter pilot and I got to know him well and I wanted to write his story". Note also that on the cover of the book that Stocks is pointing to, there is a photo of him as a young man together with his parachuting canine.


One would think that after the "drubbing" Stocks got from Glenis Green and Lynette Silver in their article of the 24 May 2004 that Syd would come down to earth, pack up his "pilot wings" and retire to a camouflaged hanger instead of continuing his farcical lies.


Stocks' Real Service Career


Sydney Stocks "heard the bugle" rather late as he enlisted as a part time soldier on the 16 Nov 1942 and served in 1 st Battalion, Volunteer Defence Corps, Queensland (VDC (Q)) employed as a Signaller. He elected to be discharged from the VDC (Q) in November 1943 for the purpose of joining the Citizens' Air Force (Full time duty)   



Sydney Stocks has a genuine RAAF service history that would be the envy of many. He was always described by his Commanding Officers as being exemplary and his work outstanding.   During WW2 his rank was initially aircraftsman, then on the 1 December 1944 he was promoted to leading aircraftsman  (LAC) (The equivalent of a senior private soldier) After the war – 1 Feb 1946 – he was promoted to acting corporal. Between 1946 and 1960 he rose to the rank of warrant officer in the trade of armourer. Sometime after 1952 Stocks applied unsuccessfully, to be selected for an RAAF Commission. Below is one page of the Application.



Notice on the application that Stocks, in his own handwriting, lists his locations from the time he first joined the RAAF until after the end of the war


On the 6 Jan 1944 he was a recruit in Sandgate Qld

10 March 1944 he was a Trainee Tech at Sydney, NSW

5 June 1944 he was a trainee Armourer at Nhill in Vic

27 August 1944 he was an Armourer at Amberley Qld

19 December 1944 he was an Armourer at Sandgate Qld

19 January 1945 he was an Armourer at Townsville Qld

5 March 1945 he was an Armourer in the Pacific with 6 Sqn RAAF.


Stocks did not join 6 SQN until 5 March 1945, this was his first and last participation in overseas WW2 service. When he joined the unit it was located at Dobodura New Guinea, Stocks arrived holding the rank of LAC Armourer. This rank and trade would scarcely qualify him to be flying Beaufort Bombers around Asia and rescuing Dutch damsels from POW camps. It is also very clear by his own handwriting that Stocks was never in Europe and was never a prisoner of war in Changi  Prison, Singapore. When the war ended, 6 Squadron RAAF relocated to Kingaroy in Southern Queensland where the Squadron was disbanded.  


During his WW2 service in New Guinea Stocks earned the following medals:

1939 –45 Star –

Pacific Star –

War Medal 1939/45 –

Australian Service Medal

General Service Medal (Malaysia) for service between 1951 and 1952.

Order of Australia medal presented in 2003 for his service to the community of Blackbutt Qld.


Remember Glenis Green reported on the 24 April 2004 "Syd has so many medals it's hard to lift the jacket he wears to Anzac Day. They include his: US Inter-National Cross of Honour,  Dutch Commemorative Medal of Honour, Star of David, Honorary Knight of Malta"


Stocks is entitled to wear six medals, the wearing of the self-purchased trinkets described above is just another example of his quest for fame through blatant lies and fantasy.   

Stocks is an enigma. He is a man with an excellent service record and he has earned an Order of Australia Medal for his services to his local community. These two things should make Stocks a satisfied man but he seeks further veneration from his community by extolling deeds of great "derring do" and mixing purchased  "trinkets" with his issued medals . He has a penchant for using newspapers to broadcast his lies.

Sydney's problem is that he writes works of fiction and then begins to live the fiction or reads stories of war time feats then fits himself into the action. This strange, long term Wannabe has no excuse for his bizarre behaviour.  He is a returned  serviceman who would have been very much respected for the genuine service he gave.


We hope this exposure will stop Sydney Stocks, spinning his yarns about his imagined heroic deeds. His antics negate his exemplary RAAF service and are an insult to veterans everywhere. If he wants to indulge in works of fiction he should write about his life as a confidence trickster, who has conned the people in the South Burnett region for decades.


One of the newspaper articles said

"As an RSL life member, he'll again be the toast of the town, which is more than proud to call him one of their own"

   27 June 2007

Our original entry about Stocks was dated 31 May 2006, an update was added 8 July 2006. In mid March 2007 we received a newspaper clipping with Stock's smiling countenance showing him to be a current and long term member of the Yarraman Queensland Returned Services League (RSL).  

 Read our original report and you will understand that Stocks is a liar of breathtaking proportions.  To this date he still maintains his claims of being an heroic WWll bomber pilot, Changi escapee and rescuer of damsels in distress.  Stocks has never apologised and shows no remorse for his insults to the intelligence of the veteran community or for the disrespect he shows to the memory of veterans and the families of those real heros who paid the ultimate sacrifice. 

Stocks is aided and abetted in his continuing deceit by the Queensland RSL, starting at the very top down through a district president to where the "buck stops" with the Yarraman RSL thumbing its nose at veterans everywhere.  

On the 14 March 2007, we enquired directly to the current president of the Queensland RSL, about the Stocks situation, he advised that he would look into the matter. On the 8 May 2007 we again enquired as to the situation with Stocks.  The Queensland RSL president advised that he had no news and was awaiting for advice from the Moreton district president. How long does it take to establish that Stocks is - or is not - a full member of the Yarraman RSL, or whether he should remain a member in view of his disgraceful conduct

When it comes to wannabes of the calibre of Stocks the veteran community must not tolerate procrastination and stalling from those who lead us. 

If the RSL is determined to welcome disgraceful people like Stocks in their midst - it is indicitive of why so many genuine veterans will not join the RSL and why so many have resigned in disgust.


This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the  Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from private citizens are supported by statements of fact and statutory declarations.


Surname: Shaw
Christian Names: Bill
Country: Australia
State or Province: QLD
City or Town: Cairns
Case Notes:


Bill Shaw still lives in Cairns where in the 1990s he was a "medalled up", New Zealand Royal Navy  "veteran" and a full member of the Kuranda RSL.  As New Zealand is part of our bailiwick, determining Bill's real service was a snap – particularly because he had none.  During his membership at the Kuranda Returned Services League (RSL) Shaw is described as always being on edge and "jumpy", this state fitted well with his "war caused" emotional state, however, we now know that it was more likely because he was always afraid of being exposed as the wannabe and imposter that he is.







In the photograph, Bill Shaw has been presented with the Republic of Vietnam medal - The Cross-of Gallantry (With Palm) - this has been pinned next to the Vietnam Medal and the Vietnamese Campaign Medal by the then President of the Kuranda RSL. The presentation of this medal was organized by the then Secretary of the Kuranda RSL the venerable Dr Barry Owen Wright (See our cases page)

At the time when Dr Barry Owen Wright had the rest of the Kuranda RSL management committee dazzled with his false credentials, there were many who were suspicious, but did nothing.

Edmund Burke the Irish political philosopher said in 1770 "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

The integrity of the veteran community is the business of every ESO committee member  and every ordinary member. Too often we find that had the "Burke principle" been applied in a timely manner exposed wannabes would never have prevailed.

Bill Shaw is a wannabe and one of Barry Owen Wright's  creations from the Kuranda RSL (there are more to come).  Wright is the lying ex education corps officer who rewrote his military and civilian history so that his mundane life as a teacher and   librarian became a kaleidoscope of heroic events and achievements. Whilst secretary of the Kuranda Queensland RSL, Wright encouraged and conspired with others to allow wannabes to fraudulently participate in RSL affairs as veterans.

What is Shaw's real story?

Shaw was never a member of any of the New Zealand forces he is a wannabe riding on the bow waves of dreamed up glory, made possible by the consummate wannabe Barry Owen Wright and his mates, who had control of the Kuranda RSL in the 1990s.

Shaw said he was in the Kiwi Navy attached to an American River Patrol Operation . The official word from our partners across the Tasman Sea is;"No NZ sailors were attached to American River Patrols. It would be part of New Zealand history if they were.  Shaw simply did not serve in any capacity in South Vietnam either with New Zealand or Australian Forces."  To the best of our knowledge he has never pulled on a boot, spliced a mainbrace or cranked a propeller with any military force in his life.

The Cross-of Gallantry (With Palm)was awarded to three New Zealand servicemen. Shaw was not one of them.

There were five people with the surname Shaw who served with the New Zealand forces in Vietnam. We have their names and Bill Shaw is not one of them

Bill Shaw has no entitlement to any of the medals he is pictured wearing.  If this person were a "decorated" Navy Veteran, he would be a household name in New Zealand and would be known.

Coached by the infamous Barry Wright, Shaw was obviously "building a case" for a pension with his pretend "night terrors" we believe this bizarre behaviour was setting up witnesses for his "pension" for "post traumatic stress disorder"

Bill Shaw still resides in Cairns, Far North Queensland even though Shaw has not continued his disgraceful charade into recent times he has earned a place on our web site for the eyes of the world for rest of his life. During the 1990s Bill Shaw wore medals he never earned, and he pretended to be a damaged veteran – both disgraceful acts which should never be forgotten by the veteran community.   


This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the Vietnam Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from private citizens are supported by statements of fact and statutory declarations.


Surname: Quick
Christian Names: Kevin Lionel
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Sydney
Service: Army
Case Notes:

Kevin Lionel Quick nickname ' Mother ' 

This story has been compiled by a D & E member who served in the unit at the same time as  "Mother" Quick.  The story you are about to read has been verified by other members of the Defence and Employment Platoon  [D & E Pl] and this is their true recollection of events.  All facts have been checked against military records by ANZMI and what you see here, is the real story.

This sorry individual is a person who stayed behind the wire in the comparative safety of the 1st  Australian Task Force base at Nui Dat, Phuoc Tuy Province, SVN, but has since claimed to have been a "Bush Soldier" with  D&E Pl with tales of bravery to relate.

Please be aware that there was another D&E Platoon.   It was attached to 1 ALSG, Vung Tau, Phuoc Tuy Province, SVN and the following story does not involve that unit in any way.

Normally when we do an update on one of our site entries the update is included at the end of the story to allow you to read all about the subject prior to the update.   In this instance we feel that by reading the update below it will give you a feel of those who have been conned at some stage by a fraud.  It is obvious from the comments below that the incident referred to is still painfully embedded in the mind of this person and to read what has been done to him and his fellow Brothers in Arms is unforgivable.  In essence this person went out of his way to assist Kevin "Mother" Quick, thinking he was a genuine Veteran who had a genuine reason to be claiming for DVA repatriation.  Indeed what  Quick has done is unforgivable and in due course we can only hope that the DVA and the Judicial system get it right and award the appropriate punishment to fit the crime. 

After reading this story go back to the cases pages and then read all about Brain, Stevens and Fancourt and look at the amount of money fraudulently obtained by these people.  But wait there are more to come,  we just cant advise you of their names right now.  You will have to wait until they have been brought down and are on the public record as Quick now is, before we can highlight them on these pages and highlight them we will.  

There are some that are saying that by ANZMI exposing these frauds that it is slowing down the compensation and rehabilitation claims for genuine veterans.  This is complete rubbish.  The DVA are as aware as we are of the frauds out there.    The time frame between Vietnam and now and checking of the claims of all veterans need to be verified before payments are made or what you are about to read can and does happen.

If you are a veteran who has a claim in and it is taking a long time to process then you could be caught up in this exhaustive check that the department has to do.  We suggest that you gather all of the information possible and support it with stat decs from others who were there at the time of the incident , war diaries and incident reports, facts from historical books etc before having your advocate lodge your claim.   The more information you can supply the quicker it is for the department to verify your claim.  DONT BLAME THE DEPARTMENT FOR BEING SLOW.  It is people like the one you about to read about that need to be caught out so that they are not stealing what is rightfully your entitlement for rehabilitation for genuine service.   Eliminating them from the equation prior to receiving payments is far easier than the massive amount of work that has to be done to recover monies paid.  Monies that should be directed to the deserving veteran and not the fraud.



I have waited 15 long years for this.

In 1987, I was asked to represent a D&E Platoon veteran in an appeal to the VRB. The grounds for appeal were that his spinal injury occurred as a result of him being blown off XXXX   XXXXX's callsign during Operation MASSEY HARRIS in 1970.

All the medical evidence supported the contention that the veteran’s medical condition was as a result of that mine contact.

I made enquiries with XXXX XXXXX who very kindly provided me with documentary evidence.

XXXX XXXXXX -God rest his soul - supplied a formal Statement of Facts.

We fought the Repat tooth and nail and we won. The VRB held that the veteran’s injuries were war-caused and that the Commonwealth was liable.

The matter was then adjourned for a rehab assessment to be carried out by the Commonwealth Rehab Service to determine the extent of damage in respect of rate of pension.
This took about another 12 months, during which time the veteran and his family were evicted from their rented home due to his inability to make rental payments.

I hit the system with a Ministerial after getting the run-around from the SMO Appeals. We went back to the Board in Aug 1988 and fought our corner again.

We won – the veteran was granted a 100% disability pension and that was the end of that.

In 1991, I again met the veteran and his family when I took my wife and our boys down to the coast for a long weekend.

While there, I saw certain things.
As a consequence of seeing those things, I made an approach to the Registrar of the VRB  in Canberra; himself a D&E Pl veteran 1970-71 who lost some good mates on 84B during “Overlord.”
Legal advice was given by the Registrar to the effect that my conversations with the veteran in question were and are, privileged, and there was nothing that could be done. Essentially what the Registrar said, was that if I did , I would not only be breaching privilege but the Privacy Act provisions (the IPPs) and worst of all , my reputation as  a person whom veteran's could confide in and trust, would be shattered.  That was absolutely not acceptable to me.  I am very familiar with the Privacy Act and the IPPs but to have my reputation hammered - no way.  Therefore I was forced to back off.  This advice was confirmed by my Learned Colleague.

Years went by and this veteran was seen in various places – he was photographed for the Welcome Home Book ISBN 0 7316 3946 4 (p.117 in a wheelchair in the march, carrying the 1 ATF placard)

and the Vietnam Memorial Book "Australian Vietnam Forces Memorial" ISBN 0 646 12442 0 at  page 132, photo No F13-28 standing unaided,  no crutches, with members of D&E Pl;

at page 150 standing unaided with members of D&E Pl; photo No F13-30;

at page 153,  photo No F13-13 standing upright  with members of D&E Pl) .

Then, in 2002 I swapped emails with a good mate who directed me to a particular website.

What I saw there floored me completely and I again approached the VRB this time to seek further legal advice on this matter.
The VRB again confirmed the constraints of the privileged nature of the matter in respect of my conversations with the client and I again found myself hamstrung. Privilege attaches win, lose, or draw and this was reinforced during my Vets Law 1 and 2 courses I did in 2004.

In October 2002, I attended the Vietnam Memorial  10th anniversary Re-dedication service and march in Canberra.  The RAAC contingent went back to the Canberra Club for our luncheon. It was only a matter of weeks since I had seen the shattering revelations. I saw the bloke at the Canberra Club.  He was alone and looking very sad and forlorn - it was obvious to me that he knew he had been outed.  No one went near him and I watched him until he disappeared.  No one spoke to him or went near him the whole time he was in my field of view.  At no time did he, whilst under my observation, resort to the use of crutches or a walking stick.  I felt soiled. I did not consider it appropriate to front him as I was with my wife, and my  mates and their wives. I knew somewhere down the track, it would come back to bite him big time.  And it has.

Late last year I was contacted by DVA's Director of Investigations  regarding this bloke – I can’t even bring myself to call him a vet any more.

I could not discuss the matter due to privilege and the Director Investigations sought furtherlegal advice. As a result of that advice, I was able to provide a statement without compromising privilege.

On Monday 13 Feb 2006, Kevin Lionel Quick appeared in Queanbeyan Court, ACT, charged with defrauding the Commonwealth in the amount of $300,000 dollars (pension payments). Quick did not enter a plea and has been remanded to Burwood Court for 20 March 2006 as he is now purportedly living up there.

Somewhere down the track, he had finally been given a TPI pension –how he got that I have no idea.
My contact with him ceased after that long weekend in 1991.

Here is what I learned after I was directed to that website:

Quick was not on XXXX XXXXX's track the day XXXX and the others were wounded.
He was in country.
He did not go outside the wire for his entire tour.
He was a batman at HQ 1 ATF.
He also told all and sundry he was there the day XXX XXXXXXXX and the others were killed in June 1971. He was NOT. He RTA’d in late May 1971 and wasn’t even in country when that contact occurred.

He deceived me and some very eminent surgeons and neurologists.
I am trained not only to the civil standard of proof, but also the criminal standard and I couldn’t fault his instructions. One thing I do when listening to a client I don't know, is to look for the inconsistency - if I find it I will not continue to represent that person. I have no intention of ruining my reputation or good name.

Thus far, over 30 interviews with various non-RAAC veterans have gone that way. I will not represent people from a particular part of NSW.

This bloke deceived a lot of people including his lovely wife and sons. They knew nothing else - he told the story from the time he first met his wife.

He will lose not only his disability pension but any assets he has, as the Commonwealth intends to seek full restitution.

This particular matter is the one which drove me to within a poofteenth of an inch of giving the Advocacy game away for good – and I am still tempted to do just that.

I was totally shattered and was helpless to say or do anything until thankfully, DVA's Chief Investigator contacted me out of the blue.

I spoke with the DVA Investigator and he said that as the matter is now public, he has no objection to me putting this info up on the site for general consumption.

In conclusion, this matter left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth and the taste still lingers.

This bloke not only betrayed those closest to him, but every other veteran who served, suffered and died, including the WIAs on XXXX’s track in 1970 and the KIAs and their NOK on XXX’s track in 1971.

Hopefully, my telling this will lay to rest the ghosts and bitterness this case has left.

If I appear somewhat reluctant to get involved in things these days, it is because of squeezers like this cove.

XXXXXX, thanks heaps mate for pointing me in the right direction.

Now finally,   justice has been done for all those deceived and for all the WIAs and KIAs.

XXXX, all I can say to you and all the others is I’m very sorry –we were all ripped off but you and your guys on
“The Nympho” and those on 84B and all of the families, were used and abused the most.

God bless you all.

Now having read that we say again.  The Department of Veterans Affairs and ANZMI highlighting these frauds on the internet are not slowing down claims for payment.  It is people such as Quick, plucking actual events and turning them around to include themselves for personal gain of rehabilitation benefits that are to blame.   The Department has to be extremely careful when doing their assessments of your claims in an attempt to stop such events, as you are about to read, from slipping through the cracks.   Remember those assessing your claim are not veterans and ramblings such as Quick can slip through.  You can see how cunningly it has been done to a genuine veteran advocate above, who looked for inconsistencies in stories.   It slipped by him, a genuine veteran who has been there and done that and was on the lookout for this type of thing, so the departments claims assessors, who have not seen service in Vietnam, have to be even more alert to the frauds and official records take time to check.  

We can only stress again that you seek out as much information as you can concerning your claims and back it all up with stat decs from people who were there at the time and documented history before your advocate lodges the claim.   The more you supply for the department to verify your claim the faster it will be approved.  We cannot stress this enough.  as Army people say PPPPPPP.

Now read on and see exactly why Quick is facing up to 300 counts of fraud against the Department of Veterans Affairs amounting to $300,000.

In Sydney, in, or around, August 1992 a group of Veterans were asked to provide written stories of their tours for possible inclusion in Army Magazine.  The majority of the Veterans told the Army reporter to go and write his own stories.  Kevin Quick was the exception and he wrote or narrated a tale entitled, 'One Man's War'.

He has since claimed that the reporter took "journalistic license" with the story.  Maybe so, these things happen, but the basis of this work of fiction is Quick's.

Please read this article first for an understanding of what can be told by someone that has lived a lie since 1971 and has worked hard at giving "truth" to his lies.
Army newspaper Article
 This article was not an attempt to publish a dramatic work of fiction, or some excitement for young Soldiers. It was his attempt to enhance his War Service and give validity to the lies that he has been telling and living since returning home in 1971.

On being challenged via e-mail to deny what he claims are facts, he simply stated, 'Everyone has their faults'.  This was mail from a former D&E Platoon member to him and his reply.  Again on being challenged by former Platoon members at a reunion, about his article and a subsequent poem written by him, he said all the records and contemporary newspaper reports were wrong. (where have we heard that before?)  He said he really was a member of the Platoon and was involved in the Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) incident his story 'highlights', although he placed it in the wrong part of Phuoc Tuy Province.

Five e-mails were sent to him asking that he deny his story and apologise to former Platoon members.  All five went unanswered.

The writer personally sent three, CMPH sent two.

CPMH and former Platoon members have looked at this article, "One Man's War", and have torn it apart, separating the facts from the fiction using archived Army records and documents that are now readily available to any member of the general public.

A volunteer serviceman?      NO.  He was conscripted (drafted).

He arrived in SVN in June 1970?   NO.   It was May 1970.

He was posted to 1 ARU, the reinforcement unit?    YES.

A mortar course 'under his belt'?   NO.  This phrase suggests that he passed a course when in fact he failed.

Mortar Course Report
Note the general remarks in the course report.
'He failed to assimilate instruction and is very slow to react.  He tends to wilt when under pressure.'
In essence these remarks say, 'Make him a batman, a storeman, a dishwasher, a barman, but don't take him out on patrol, he'll be a liability.'  An Infantry section in the field relies heavily on each member of the patrol backing each other up in the event of a fire fight.  At a time like this the pressure is extreme and no member of the team can afford to fail his mates.

He told the Sergeant that he wanted to go back to [even though he had never been in one before] a Battalion with his mates and 'get into it - mix it', because he wanted to wear the "Skippy Badge", the hat badge of the Royal Australian Regiment, Infantry.  He already had one, as did every other Infantryman who was posted to a Battalion or overseas.

He wrote about POGOS [Personnel on Garrison Operations], a derogatory term used for base camp personnel.  He was one, as you will discover.

He spent two weeks in hospital due to a minor kidney ailment, June 1970?    NOT QUITE RIGHT.  His records show one week, long enough for diagnosis but not treatment and cure.
Hospital Entry

He was posted to D&E Platoon, HQ Coy, 1 ATF?  HALF TRUE.  He was posted to the Company, not the Platoon.  The Soldiers were assigned their duties on arrival.

He arrived at the Company on 25 June.  Impossible for him to have been an 'Old Hand of five months' on 29 August 1970, the first day of Operation Massey Harris.

He was a machine gunner in D&E Platoon and was actively engaged in patrolling and ambushing ?    NO.  In fact, he spent THREE days on the strength of the Platoon; the mornings of 26, 27 and 28 June for roll call.  In the remarks column of the Platoon attendance roll against his name appears the notation, "TO BATMAN."  The same roll book contains a listing of all HQ Coy Batman, Kevin Quick is shown as commencing as a batman in this section on 29 June 1970.

So on the morning of 29 June, he was officially a BATMAN and on their attendance roll.

A BATMAN assisted officers' by cleaning their tents, making their beds, shining their boots, making their coffee and doing all the mundane chores that a busy officer had no time for.  It was a full time duty.  There were no civilian personnel on the base for this purpose.  Batmen were required, but there was no extreme pressure placed on them.

Maybe someone read his Mortar Course report.

He was later transferred to duties in the Quartermaster's Store as a storeman.

D&E Platoon carried out a variety of tasks, patrolling, ambushing, VIP protection, Task Force ready-reaction, etc.   YES.

After a long period of heavy action he was moved to the Platoons HQ protection section (squad)?  NO.  Firstly there was no such section or unit.  Secondly, he was allocated to the strength to (of) the Platoon for only THREE days.  D&E Platoon was out on operations in the vicinity of Xuyen Moc during this period of time, no patrolling or bush work for Mother Quick!

D&E Platoon Soldiers carried non-standard issue (Jack) weapons and a greater amount of fully automatic weapons than those carried by a Battalion Platoon?   YES.  That's true but who could 'sneak' a weapon out on patrol?

According to "Mother" he was wounded when the APC, call sign 13A, "The Nympho", was moving back to base from Operation "Massey Harris" in the Courtney rubber plantation.  [refer back to the Army Magazine article]  NO.  He was not wounded here or anywhere else whilst in South Viet Nam.

He probably still doesn't know this, but Operation "Massey Harris" took place in the southeast corner of the province.  The armoured vehicles were moving to the AO, not back from the operation near Binh Tuy Province on 29 August 1970.

The De Courtenay, not Courtney, (Quick's spelling is wrong) rubber plantation was in the extreme north of the Province and straddled the border with Long Khanh Province on route 2.

A complete and accurate list of the names of those Australian Soldiers wounded during Operation "Massey Harris" and taken to hospital is in our possession.  No Kevin Lionel Quick and no civilians are on the casualty list.

Twelve (12) were injured, two (2) remained on duty, 10 were dusted off to 1 AFH. [1st Australian Field Hospital]; two (2) of these D&E Soldiers eventually joined the Platoon in the field again whilst the APC Driver was also able to take up his normal duties.  D&E Platoon members have the names of these 10 personnel.

Quick has combined two APC / D&E incidents that incurred loss of life.  The first occasion being August 1970, Operation "Massey Harris" and the second during June 1971, Operation "Overlord" near the De Courtenay rubber plantation.  Forty (40) kilometres as the crow flies and 10 months apart.  It's possible that he concocted this combination to avoid hard questions as to where he was supposedly injured and incurred his loss of hearing, spinal injury, PTSD and hypertension.  He had in fact, returned to Australia in May 1971.  One month before the De Courtenay plantation / D&E incident.
return to Aus Doc
The Bushman (Kit Carson) Scout was killed?   YES.

The scout was indeed killed but his name was Thanh, not Chang.  Quick's poem dedicated to the scout raised some anger when it and the Army Magazine article were displayed at a Company reunion.

A badly wounded Soldier moved by truck over 30 miles of bad to average road to Nui Dat or 45 miles to Vung Tau?  This claim alone is enough to brand this individual as a liar of the first order and the truth of the matter is explained below . This is one of the most outlandish stories ever dished out by a Veteran and an insult to the Australian Army of the time.

ALL wounded were taken to 1st Australian Field Hospital, Vung Tau, on two Dustoffs, [helicopters].
No injured personnel, civilian or military, were moved from the location by any other means.  There have been claims by others to the contrary, but these above are the facts on how the wounded were evacuated. 

Quick was a Veteran's counsellor in Canberra?  YES.  He is well remembered by one Veteran who heard the Nympho story often.

So much for his article in the Army Magazine, some facts regarding the Platoon - yes, but basically the rest is bunkum.

His records show that he was in hospital in November 1970 for a week but no mention of treatment on or around 29 August 1970, the date of the Nympho incident.
hospital record 2
Many records of the time can be wrong but they can't be so consistently wrong as in the case of this individual.

We have a declaration from another Veteran who was told by Quick, that he damaged his back while working at the Australian Embassy in Hanoi, post 1975 and was unable to receive compensation.  The member who has related this information has supplied a statutory declaration to this fact.

He is in receipt of the highest Veterans' pension available in Australia, payable due to his supposed war caused injuries and disabilities.

How was he able to get away with this deception for 30 years, all the while enhancing his War Service and profile in the Veteran community?

Unlike a Battalion posting which would give a fair indication of a Soldier's duties, a posting to HQ Coy 1 ATF did not.  No matter what duties these Soldiers finally carried out, they were all posted as ECN-343, Rifleman.

Infantry Soldiers arrived at the Company and were assigned duties ranging through clerk, storeman, barman, batman, mess steward, dixie basher (dishwasher) or bush Soldier with D&E Platoon.

D&E carried out any duties required by the Brigadier as stated in Quick's article and other duties that he was/is not aware of.  The Platoon was known as 'The Brigadiers Own' also 'Hawke Force'.  He wasn't aware of those names either.

The existence of the Platoon was relatively unknown to others at the Task Force base and it's only in the last 10 years that the operations of the Platoon have come to light.

Also over the last 10 years, quite a few base duty or logistics support soldiers have claimed former membership of D&E Platoon for a variety of reasons.  War Service enhancement for personal gain would be the main one.

Quick had appeared at Veterans reunions in a wheelchair and wearing the Infantry Combat Badge, (ICB).
The wheelchair use could not have been due to war wounds, he was never wounded but he gave that impression.

He is not entitled to wear the ICB

medal entitlement here
 Uninvited, he attended school lectures conducted by other Veterans and after interrupting the lecturers, went on to speak about his own 'fictional' experiences with VC tunnel complexes and his time as a bush soldier.  One D&E member recalls these experiences as he was there at the time and witnessed this on two occasions.

He wasn't asked to be there, but turned up anyway and 'took over' the lectures being given.

Quick had received mail, asking for confirmation or denial of his story, just prior to the Re-dedication of the Viet Nam Memorial at Canberra in 2002.  QuickDID NOT appear at the ceremony.

At other gatherings since 1987 he was seen at the forefront of every group photo and march.  He helped carry the Platoon banner in these marches, walking without the aid of his wheelchair - a miraculous recovery perhaps!!

Carrying the D&E Platoon banner, assisted by his son, during the 1993 Anzac Day march in Sydney would have been difficult for a fit man due to a headwind, let alone "Mother".  There were no pressure release cutouts on the banner but he managed quite well.

He, also, showed no signs of a back injury after carrying the banner during a march at the original dedication of the Viet Nam memorial in Canberra during October, 1992.

He then kept the banner for his own use, whatever that may have been, for nine years, until he was tracked down and requested to hand it over to D&E members. It is now in their safekeeping. Actual Platoon members were naïve at the time and did not realise that he was setting up photographic and video evidence of his acceptance into the ranks of Platoon members.

The final sentences of his article are touching.

His story is not spectacular.  ('I was just a baggy arse' he says.  'There were no awards, no citations.  Just another soldier, one of many who spent some time in D&E Platoon').  The term "Baggy Arse" was used to refer to soldiers with the rank of Private.

What is the final determination of this Veteran's War Service?

HE WAS NOT: a volunteer soldier, a mortar man, an M60 machine gunner, a signalman, a bush soldier, wounded, or an unacclaimed minor hero.

HE WAS a National Service soldier who carried out mundane base duties during his time with HQ Coy, 1 ATF.

Welcome to the site Kevin "Mother" Quick.

Your actions have denigrated the War Service of all your fellow Veterans.  You have defiled the memory of those who gave their lives in Service to our country and those who have passed on since.

If any of our readers know of anyone who has claimed former membership of D&E Platoon, HQ Coy, 1 ATF, Nui Dat and have doubts about the persons stories, especially stories of Operations "Massey Harris" and "Overlord", please contact ANZMI

5 JAN 2008

On the 20th of December 2007 Kevin Quick was sentenced to two years jail, with a  three year good behaviour bond - he is to serve three months in jail and on release should he breach the bond within three years will return to jail to complete the two year sentence

  At long last a custodial sentence has been imposed on a Veteran for misrepresenting his service to gain financial advantage from the Department of Veterans Affairs. ANZMI applauds all those who made this possible especially those members of Defence and Employment Platoon who assisted us in our original exposure of Kevin Quick.

When further details come to hand with regard to the recovery of the monies fraudulently obtained we will post a further update.

Below is a newspaper article that was written just prior to his sentencing.

23rd Sep 2012

Kevin Lionel Quick – The final curtain - Update – 16 Sep 12

Quick fraudulently claimed benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs, for that crime he has spent time in prison, has been comprehensively exposed on our web site and suffered considerable disgrace in the National Media. On the up side for Quick, it appears that he got away with a net profit of $135,000 of Tax payers money.

The final chapter to Quick’s wannabe and criminal career was unfolded on the 17 July 2012 when he was arraigned before the Supreme Court in Sydney.  See the report below:



Quick is a criminal, who without conscience defrauded the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) and therefore the Taxpayers of Australia. His actions and the subsequent reaction by DVA, has made it that little bit harder for needy Veterans to get their entitlements through the Government system. Much has been reported about Quick, none of that reported shows him in a good light, succinctly put, Quick is a criminal, a liar, a fraud and a wannabe.

If you meet him treat him as such.

This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the Vietnam Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from private citizens are supported by statements of fact and statutory declarations.



Surname: Phillips
Christian Names: Paul Stephan
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Wollongong
Service: Army
Branch: Infantry
Case Notes:

Paul Stephan Phillips Service Number 222341 is an ex serviceperson who served his country as an infantry man. For that he should be proud.  Instead of pride however, he followed a path of jealousy and deceit.  He pretended to be a veteran of the Vietnam War and wore ribbons and medals not conferred on him.  These acts, if true, are offences under sections 80A and 80B of the Defence Act 1903 and each can incur penalties of up to $3300.00 and or 6 months imprisonment.  If you want to review the evidence of this persons alleged offences, read here. 

Paul Stephen Phillips, born 9th September 1952 is, we have been advised, an ex student who attended Christian Brothers College in Crown Lane, now known as Edmund Rice College, Wollongong.  Edmund Rice College honours its ex-students who served in WW2 or Vietnam by placing their name on an honour board. Below is a photo of the Colleges honour board for the Vietnam War.



There are people on that board who we know served their country with honour and bravery.  To maintain their privacy we have obliterated their names.  But see, there is the name of our hero, Phillips P.  This has been confirmed by the college as being Paul Phillips and that the reason he is on the board is because he claimed to have been in the Vietnam War

Paul Phillips claims to have commenced six years military service in March 1969.  When he first made this claim it was pointed out to him that he would have only been 17 at the time and so he changed the date of commencement to March 1970.  This, of course is an easy mistake to make when you are remembering dates from all those years ago, but read on.  He claims that he did his corps training at Ingleburn between March and September and was then posted to 7 RAR at Holsworthy until embarkation to Vietnam.  He claims to have travelled to Vietnam by ship, a trip of six weeks, where he disembarked at Cam Ran Bay.  He then travelled by truck to his battalion destination.  Whilst in Vietnam he saw Little Patty entertain the troops from the back of a truck and he took his R&R in Butterworth and Penang.  He finished his tour of Vietnam and returned to Australia in September 1971 and continued at Holsworthy with 7 RAR for five years.  He was known to have completed a parachute course and when asked about this he states that he served with the SAS in Western Australia until his discharge in 1983.  When asked what he had done in the SAS he stated, "Do you want me to kill you? Do you know what the SAS is?"   He stated during this conversation that he had completed his military service at the rank of Corporal.   On other occasions he and his wife have been heard to say that he retired from the Australian Army with the rank of Captain and that the Army had assisted with his further education.

Mr. Phillips regularly attends the ANZAC Day ceremonies in Wollongong.  Here is a photo of the proud veterans marching in Wollongong on ANZAC Day 2006.  The crowd on either side of the road are clapping and cheering them, and so they should.  Little do they know that in the midst of the marchers there is a wannabe falsely pretending to be a returned veteran.


One of those marchers wearing the ribbons of the Vietnam Medal and the Vietnam Campaign Medal and also what appears to be the Infantry Combat Badge and the SAS beret badge, is Paul Stephen Phillips. See the cropped photo below from the march.


What is wrong with this?  He marches in ANZAC Day parades and has his name on the   school honour board as a person who served his country in the Vietnam war.

A brief history of 7 RAR and 5/7 RAR will tell you that:

7 RAR was formed at Puckapunyal, Victoria on 1st September 1965 as part of the Australian Army's build up for the Vietnam War.  The Battalion subsequently served twice in Phuoc Tuy Province, South Vietnam.  The first tour was from April 1967 and the second from February 1970.  Both tours lasted approximately 12 months and during this time 7 RAR was deployed on 48 operations.  7 RAR was eventually linked with 5/7 RAR in December 1973.  The colours have been laid up at the Soldiers Chapel at Kapooka, NSW.  Approximately 2,400 men served with the Seventh.  Of these thirty three were killed and 220 were recorded as wounded.

5/7 RAR was formed at Tobruk Lines, Holsworthy on 3rd December 1973.  5 RAR and 7 RAR were linked to form the new Battalion.  The 5 RAR Mascot, Sgt Quintus, and the 7 RAR Pipes and Drums were adopted by 5/7 RAR.

Throughout 1974, 5/7 RAR was involved in individual and company training.  C Company spent the period March to June 1974 in Malaysia supporting the RAAF at Butterworth. 

During 1975 the Battalion was involved in assisting the civilian population after Cyclone Tracy in Darwin.

We know from his Australian Army Record of Service that Private Paul Stephan Phillips 222341 joined the Army and went to 1RTB on 1 August 1972, this was after 7 RAR had returned from Vietnam for the last time.  After his corps training at RA Inf Centre he served with 7 RAR until the battalion became part of 5/7 RAR. 

Private Phillips went with C Company 5/7 RAR to Butterworth on 5th March 1974 returning to Sydney on 4th June 1974.  He was married on 27th June 1974.

He failed a Clerk Admin Course in October 1973 and obtained a C Pass on a basic parachute course on 13th June 1975.




The years that Mr Phillips states that he was serving with the SAS are within the 30 year rule so we have not been able to obtain service records for this period.  We have been reliably informed that he did not serve with the SAS at any time.

Since the matter was reported to ANZMI, photos and Statutory Declarations have been provided and inquiries made to prove or negate these allegations.  During these inquiries contact was made with the VVAA at Illawara.  The president of that sub-branch stated that Phillips was not a member nor had ever been a member.  He did indicate in his email that he was well aware of the claims and counter claims involving this ex-serviceman.

We have been advised that on Tuesday 15th August 2006 Mr Phillips attended a meeting at the VVAA Illawara Sub-branch relating to the 40th Anniversary of Long Tan.  It is alleged that at that meeting he asked if he could be excused from wearing his medals at the dinner for that Anniversary as his medals had been stolen during a break-in at his home and at the time his wife's jewellery was stolen. As a result of this request another member offered to loan Mr Phillips a set of miniatures and it is believed that it was those miniatures that Mr Phillips wore to the dinner for the Anniversary of Long Tan on the 18th August 2006.

The photo below is of Mr Phillips at that dinner wearing those miniatures.  It is very poor quality but as shown above we have evidence contained in  this Statutory Declaration that this is the case.



It is a sad fact that, for a variety of reasons, we have wannabes in our community.  In the case of Mr Phillips we would like to know why an ex servicemen would stoop to such low levels of deceit to steal the honour of those who served and those who gave their health and lives in service during conflict involving Australian troops.

Government has stated that they see these offences as very serious and have increased the penalties considerably.  There should be no need for veterans to be required to expose these wannabe's.  This is the role of law enforcement.  Alas, the truth is that law enforcement claim they do not have the resources to police these offences. We have been let down by the system and it is left to veterans to police this area of the law, albeit without the ability to impose the penalties stipulated in legislation and without the authority to obtain evidence from the various sources that are available to Government agencies and with out protection under the law when doing so.  This is not the way it should be.  The only way this will change is for the veteran community to let their political representatives know that we, the veteran community, are not satisfied with this farce.

 Evidence tending to prove offences committed by Paul Stephan Phillips is contained within this report.  That is as far as ANZMI can go.  It is now up to the regulatory bodies, the police and CDPP to take appropriate action as required by enacted legislation.  It is also a matter for an affected Ex-Service persons Organisation to take what ever action is required under ESO By-Laws.

  22 April 2007

The case of Paul Stephen Phillips has received some attention in the last few days.  First, shortly after the case was posted on the ANZMI web site, an email was received from Mr Phillips apologising for his mistakes.  As you can see below there is nothing in this 'heartfelt apology' to indicate that he disagreed with the the case, in fact quite the contrary.

 -----Original Message-----
From: Phillips email address removed
Sent: Friday, 20 April 2007 11:31 AM
Subject: heart felt appology

Dear Sir / Madam
It is my sincere intention to do the right thing by the veteran community and I have made mistakes in the past and I am paying the penalty with bad health and embarrassment.   I would like to thank My XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and Mr  XXXXXXXXXXX for their concern in bringing this matter to my attention it would have been easier if I was confronted in person.   If you could please let me know what is required of me do not hesitate to contact me please do not change your address as I have been trying to contact you
Kindest Regards
Paul S Phillips

Next we received an article written in the Daly Telegraph by Luke McIlveen which is shown here.

This article entry at the beginning of the story entitled: VIETNAM veterans have been accused of playing vigilante and falsely accusing a former soldier of impersonating a war hero.
It would appear that Luke McIlveen has written this story either without checking facts or because he was just being selective so that he could write a story with the slant he wanted.  He has, it would appear from the article, interviewed Mr Phillips and also Vietnam Veterans' Association Illawarra Sub Branch Secretary, Pam Bowmaker, who he states backs Mr Phillips version of events.  He has put in his article, a photo shown on the Paul Phillips case file, depicting the Anzac Day Parade in Wollongong.  What none of them have done is  explain (and the reporter has shown his selectivity by failing to show in his article)  the crop of that photo showing Mr Phillips wearing the SAS Badge, Infantry Combat Badge and the ribbons for the Vietnam Medal and Vietnam Star.  This is hardly the flimsy evidence that the newspaper article claims.  Another fact that the reporter has failed to check is the Honour Board at Edmund Rice College.  This Honour Board is headed "Vietnam War".  The other Honour Board is headed "WW11".



Below is the full Honour Board we did not show on the initial story above.  Now please correct us if we are wrong Mr Phillips, but does this board NOT say Vietnam War as its title?  We again have blanked out the genuine veterans names but note that one was awarded a Distinguished Service Medal.  Are you not dishonouring this mans commendable war service as well as all others from the school who have served?

This evidence is held together with evidence contained in statutory declarations and, it is believed, it hardly appears "to have picked the wrong man".  You will note that Luke has asked for comments to his article in the Daily Telegraph. 

If Ms Bowmaker would like to contact our website and advise us of the wrong people she appears to be claiming ANZMI have targeted, we would be very pleased to investigate and put right any errors, should there be any.

It is strange and a pity that there are different views between various ESO's.  When you compare the comments of Vietnam Veterans' Association Illawarra Sub Branch Secretary, Pam Bowmaker with the comments recorded in the WA Post attributed to RSL WA President, Bill Gaynor.


Philips has attempted to apologise then instigated a newspaper article completely denying our claims and accusing us of vigilantism. We could not consider accepting an apology until a similar story appears in this paper that contains a true version of his behaviour and a public apology to all veterans.   We also hold more information than what appears on our pages specifically for the purpose of refuting the lies put forward by those we expose.  This information in time, as the government finally sees that we are not vigilantes but veterans seeking action against those who steal our Honour and Service, will be forwarded to the appropriate authorities for charges to be laid.  This pathway has just been opened somewhat by the press release by The Hon Bruce Billson MP of 18 April 2007.   You can find this article reproduced in full on our cases opening page and in the story of Jeffry Crase, our latest veteran impersonator on the cases pages.

If you are a genuine veteran, have genuine service and medals it is now time to start applying pressure to have these people charged under the Defence Act.   Anzac day is only a couple of days away.   Enjoy the day as you and your mates deserve it.   Be ever vigilant and take your camera.   Read the press release by The Hon Bruce Billson MP on our cases opening page and send us the photos of those you capture, along with their names if possible and we will request  that the appropriate action is taken against those that steal your service.   This is not inciting veteran against veteran.  It is veteran against impostor.  A completely different war we shouldn't have to have on our most sacred of days where we see old friends and remember our fallen.

This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the Vietnam Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from private citizens are supported by statements of fact and statutory declarations.


Powered by Sigsiu.NET