Surname: Nicholson
Christian Names: Roy
Country: Australia
State or Province: Victoria
City or Town: Dandenong
Case Notes:

Roy Nicholson aka (Bill)

Roy Nicholson suffered a stroke in 2004 that he says was brought on by his Army service in Vietnam, he is unfortunately wheelchair bound. We had to overlook Nicholson's infirmity to present his exposure as a wannabe because many real war veterans suffer from extreme disabilities and this individual is not going to cash in on his. The fact was that his family and friends were sick and tired of putting up with his antics and lies.  They believed that once he was made aware of his exposure here on our site, he would wake up and stop.  He has been posing as a Veteran for over thirteen years and used his tales of heroism to win over his now estranged wife.

Nicholson displayed what he thought would be the actions of a Vietnam Veteran who was severely affected by  traumatic war time experiences. In attempts to convince family and friends of his war caused Post Traumatic Stress Disorder [PTSD], this violent, abusive, heavy drinker threw beer cans at his TV when war movies were shown ranting that the movies weren't real.  If he heard helicopters outside in the street he would yell "Choppers, choppers" and duck for cover.

A family friend offered to take Nicholson's wife to a Department of Veteran's Affairs office to initiate a pension claim for him but he forbade her to do this because DVA had thrown his claim out years ago.

Last Anzac Day, 25/4/05, Nicholson spent the day at Dandenong, Victoria, Returned Services Leagues Club being bought many beers by patrons who listened to his tales of war service in Vietnam as a Colonel in the SAS.
On the day he told his listeners that he was confined to a wheelchair due to having been shot in the back while serving in Vietnam.  He didn't wear medals because he "had thrown them away" Nicholson claims he was a National Serviceman who rose through the ranks to Colonel but he forgets in which state he was conscripted, sometimes it's NSW and sometimes it's Victoria.

A former AATTV member questioned Nicholson on behalf of the family to ascertain whether he is a Veteran or not. It was determined that Nicholson had never dragged on a boot in his country's service.

Three of his most transparent tales of Vietnam are as told to the Veteran:

1...He had to "rescue" a SAS patrol when they ran into trouble [enemy contact] and during a helicopter rope extraction a Soldier fell to his death but he can't remember any names of those involved. This Soldier is still listed as MIA.

2...He had to rescue his troops who had been caught in ambush. During this incident he had to rescue his current wife's estranged father who had been shot and mortally wounded, this man died in Nicholson's arms.
This lady has since discovered that her father did not serve in Vietnam. Nicholson claims that it was during this 'rescue" that he himself was shot in the back.

3...He had to go and rescue more of his men. After the pilot of the helicopter he was riding in was shot, he flew the aircraft. This aircraft was subsequently shot down and burned causing three Australian lives to be lost. Nicholson stated that this loss of life could have been avoided but the "idiots on the ground stuffed up", one of these Soldiers is still listed as MIA. Nicholson has loosely quoted three incidents that actually happened.

Editors note; An Australian Soldier who was on the ground and killed during this actual helicopter crash in 1971 (No.3) was known to one of our CPMH members. Corporal "Blackie" Blackhurst was the advisor on the ground who Nicholson says "stuffed up"
Nicholson is the idiot who has "stuffed up" by besmirching the name of a good soldier who died doing his job in trying to save the lives or four Vietnamese Regional Force Soldiers.
There will be no forgiveness shown by this CPMH member, nor by the former AATTV advisor who supplied us with information on Nicholson and knew both Corporal Blackhurst and one of the soldiers listed as MIA. Any
apology tendered by Nicholson will be rejected by them and so this story will remain here.

Nicholson had difficulty in remembering where he did his recruit training but states that he was such a good soldier he bypassed Infantry Corps training and was posted directly to Townsville, QLD, to a unit he can't remember the designation of. He was rapidly sent from this unit to SAS as a Colonel and then to Vietnam.   Another version of his tales says he was sent directly from recruit training to a special unit in Vietnam.

Nicholson further stated that he was the Commanding Officer of 3 Cavalry Squadron, an Ordnance unit and D Company 4th Battalion during the cleanup after all Australian fighting troops left Vietnam in 1975. Yes, 1975, this is not a typo.  These units left Vietnam in early 1972.

Did we carry out our normal searches for documents that may support his stories?  No, here's one reason why. He was born in 1958.  National Service conscription finished and the last fighting and advisory troops left Vietnam when he was 14 or 15 years old.
Whether he served in some reserve unit at some time is very doubtful and is not of concern here, our concerns are with his outlandish claims of service in Vietnam.

There is more information on Nicholson and his failure to answer appropriate questions but what you read above should be sufficient for us to brand this fool as a wannabe, he deserves his lifetime entry on this page.

We sent a letter to Nicholson asking for an explanation of his stories and actions but at time of publication no reply had been received directly from him. We did, however, receive an email from someone who telephoned him to ask about his reaction to our letter. This email states, "He says he has nothing to answer to, he says he has never posed as a vet"

There you have it, this spineless bag of excrement felt very comfortable terrorising his family with his garbage and sucking up free beer at the Dandenong RSL but when the hard questions were asked, he went to water. A typical wannabe, a despicable specimen of same.

For those of our readers who think we're kicking a bloke when he's down, think about this. Nicholson had been carrying on with his lies for at least twelve years before he had a stroke.

Naturally, the memories of the former AATTV Veteran and our CPMH member had been vividly awakened due to the exposure of this disgusting wannabe. How does this creature compensate for the dreams they are having right now?   He wouldn't know and would care even less. Sleep well Mr. Nicholson but open your mouth again and you'll find yourself in very deep trouble.

There's a message in this story for our readers. If you know someone who won't allow friends or family to contact the Department of Veteran's Affairs on his or her behalf, that's a big red warning flag.  There's an even chance that you have discovered a wannabe. All Military records over thirty one years old are available. Apply to ref@naa.gov.au  supplying branch of service ie. Army, Navy, Air Force or Reserves, full name, date of birth and service number (if known). Your local RSL or Vietnam Veteran's organisation should be able to assist with a search of the WW II, Korea and Vietnam Veterans nominal rolls.

This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the Vietnam Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from private citizens are supported by statements of fact and statutory declarations.

Surname: Freshfield
Christian Names: Robert Michael
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Granville
Service: Army
Case Notes:

Robert Michael Freshfield is a wannabe and a typical show pony used to draw potential members into Veteran's organisations in the struggle for membership numbers, public recognition, and funds.

Many ex-service organisations harbour these individuals knowing full well that their tales of brave or spectacular war service are nothing more than lies.  In one way these wannabes are like the Vietnam War protestors as described by Hanoi, "useful idiots"

His freely published address block is:

Mr Bob Freshfield.

Jnr Vice President

Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia.

NSW Branch Inc.
Phone: 02 9682 1788  Fax: 02 9682 6134

At time of publication the executive members of the VVFA Granville were , according to their website.

National President: Tim McCombe OAM
Vice Presidents: Bob Tyrrell
Secretary/Treasurer: Bob Tyrrell (Acting)
NSW State President: Tim McCombe OAM
NSW Hon. Secretary: Nev Woodward

In emails to six State VVFA Secretaries we asked if Freshfield had ever been seen to wear the Infantry Combat Badge, there were only two replies.

One, from Nev Woodward, said that he has never seen him wear it, another said our representative should "get a life"

Freshfield's 3 1/2 months of service with 1 Australian Reinforcement Unit (1ARU) at Nui Dat and his 6 months with AFV Amenities and Welfare Unit, 1 Australian Logistic Support Group (1ALSG), Vung Tau, are well documented and these records deny any claims he has made of being a bush soldier with two Battalions and a semi-autonomous Infantry Platoon.

We base this exposure on information supplied by Veterans who sent us copies of emails written by Freshfield and a message that was posted by him in an online Infantry Battalion newsletter.  The Veterans supplied statements as to the authenticity of the emails.

We have been informed that he denies ever having sent his Vietnam service details over the internet, "someone else sent them after they hacked his password."

If this was the case, this "hacker" sent emails using Freshfield's name and e-mail address from late 2001 to mid 2004, before the impersonation was discovered and the password changed. Imagine that.

From our standpoint we firmly believe that the emails were written and sent by Freshfield.

Perhaps we could agree with him in one way in that he did not send his Vietnam service details over the internet, what he sent was a pack of lies and had little to do with his actual service.

In a total of three emails and a Battalion website newsletter entry, he made claims of war service with two Infantry Battalions and D&E Platoon Nui Dat.

The Infantry Battalions he says he served with on operations are 3RAR and 4RAR, the operations took place from 6 March to 2 October 1971.

In one ridiculous claim he said that he was in the bush on operations with both Battalions continuously from 18 June to 17 September with no break back at Nui Dat although there was a five day gap between two of them. The names of operations are available on the internet as are the dates, he obviously didn't take note of the dates.

In one email he went too far and angered some Veterans when he wrote;

"I was with Bravo Company 3RAR during Overlord. as [sic] nearly wiped out in the APC ambush on 12th June. Lost 5 mates, and 2 others a few days later"

He also wrote.

"Served in reinforcement as well as D&E Nui Dat from February to September"

In September 2002 this message was posted on a 3rd Battalion Association website.  (Please bookmark us before going to the site below as it will take you away from our site)

Scroll down the above page to "WEBSITE CONTACTS" and you will find this entry

Bob Freshfield <bobsup@ozemail.com.au> is the webmaster for the Vietnam Veterans Federation www.vvfagranvile.org.au. He writes

" I checked out your site and found it a worthwhile place to browse. I was a 'Nasho" doing time at 1ARU during 1971. I got sent to, but not posted, 3RAR during "Briar Patch", "Overlord", "Iron Fox", then to 4RAR (not posted) for "Hermit Park", "North Ward" and "Ivanhoe". Shifted around among 3RAR BCoy and 4RAR CCoy and the Kiwi Coy as well. A lot of forward scout work too! - I will put a link on our site, as soon as time permits"

Fact. Infantry Privates were not "seconded to", "sent to" or "shafted off to" other units as Freshfield stated in his emails. They were posted or detached to other units with the required paperwork being raised.

For you old Infantrymen, can you picture a reinforcement from 1ARU joining you for a few days on an operation and he's given forward scout duties? Never happen.

This was a particularly stupid claim to make.

"I was with Bravo Company 3RAR during Overlord. as [sic] nearly wiped out in the APC ambush on 12th June. Lost 5 mates, and 2 others a few days later"

">>>> the ambush was on 3 APC's taking D&E and Reo's back to The Dat after Overlord finished, and 3RAR didn't want us anymore. Well, not for a few weeks."

Here's why. There are some well-worn myths about this factual Armoured Personnel Carrier ambush and Freshfield only retells these myths, not the facts, clearly displaying that he was nowhere near the incident.

We would like to publish the facts of this ambush but there are too many wannabes who would like to use them. There is another traumatised wannabe on our books who thought he was there on the day as well, his tale mirrors Freshfield's and the myths but is actually more gruesome.

To review Freshfield's claims in brief.

Served on operations with 3RAR and 4RAR, 6 March to 2 October, forward scout....Denied.

Served in Vietnam beginning February 1971....Denied

Served at Nui Dat from February to October 1971....Denied.

"Seconded" to Battalions for operational duties....Denied

Served with D&E Platoon, HQ Coy, 1ATF, Nui Dat....Denied.

Was present when an Armoured Personnel Carrier was ambushed causing loss of life....Denied.

His records show he arrived in Vietnam on 25 March, this date is correct according to other Military records and a letter he wrote to the Central Army Records Office,  (CARO

Two sets of records also show he did indeed leave Nui Dat for Vung Tau on 7 July.

We could find nothing in the way of records or supplied information that could give truth to his lies about serving with 3RAR, 4RAR and D&E Platoon, Nui Dat.  We did, however, find plenty of information to show that he was never even near these units.

His actual Vietnam service was:

1 Australian Reinforcement Unit, Nui Dat. From 25 March to 7 July 1971 with a seven day detachment to another unit which we believe to be AFV Amenities and Welfare Unit, 1ALSG, Vung Tau.

He took a two day leave  from 1ARU on 2 -3 July prior to finally being posted to AFV Amenities on 7 July, returning to Australia on 2 December 1971.

People not connected to CPMH had questioned Freshfield on these claims, his replies varied and are shown in time order. All communications were by e-mail, they were sent to, and replies received from, Bob Freshfield  bobsup@ozemail.com.au

November 2001. His reply was not recorded after being challenged by a Veteran but the Veteran's memory says it was something like this.

"He more or less said he didn't care as he knew what he did and I didn't"

16 June 2004.

"I don't care anymore about what I did or didn't do in Vietnam.  I won't discuss it anymore over the internet. Get a life."

In answer to the same questions from CPMH his reply changed from dismissive to outright denial, a new defence.

11 September 2005.

"The claims made in your email were NOT made by me. I have no idea about any email supposedly to be have been sent by me [sic] as I have NEVER made such claims on the internet. I will stand by whatever records the Army have of me.  I have no idea what claims you are referring to. This will be the last response from me on this matter"

His reply to an e-mail from a concerned person who questioned his post on the 3RAR Association website.

22 September 2005.

"I have NEVER put my Vietnam Service details over the internet. Mischievous beings who had access to my emails through Mymail.com.au over the internet sent out a lot of crap until I changed my password, and it stopped."

A review of two replies.

11 September 2005.

"I have no idea what claims you are referring to"

Why didn't he tell us the "hacker" story he used in his next reply?

22 September 2005.

"Mischievous beings who had access to my emails >>>sent out a lot of crap until I changed my password, and it stopped"

Did he finally discover this impersonation sometime between 11 and 22 September 2005 after it had been going on since November 2001? This seems highly unlikely.

A Veteran who served with D&E Platoon at the time of the APC ambush and who actually lost mates on that day, sent this email to Freshfield on the 33rd anniversary of the incident.